Monday, July 21, 2008

Kevin's New Job

As many of you know I, Kevin, have been in Austin, TX for training for the past week which is the main reason the blog has not been updated.  There will be a much longer post when I get back to the east coast but I wanted to let everyone know how/what I doing.

I am currently training with Assent LLC which is a day trading firm.  Most of the guys that work for the company work in the office (about 40 guys) but I'll be trading from home which makes things a little more difficult but I like a good challenge.  The atmosphere is nothing like I've ever seen in my entire life.  I have watched the market my entire life, thinking I had an idea of how/why things work the way they do.  No book can prepare you for day trading I can tell you that first hand.  I will go much more in depth on my "Look back at Austin" but I did want to go ahead and post a few things about what I do and don't do because not many people (including myself before this week) really know what a day trader does.

Question 1- What exactly do you do?  

That is a great question imaginary person #1.  I basically trade securities all day long (stocks, bonds, etfs, adrs, options, futures...you name it we trade it).  

Question 2- Do you have clients that you are calling and trading for?

We do not have any clients.  We are leveraged by Assent but the profits are 100% ours.  The company makes profit on every trade we make which is why we can take 100% profits (much like a poker room takes rake, they make money as long as people are playing).

Question 3- Is this a rough time day trading with the market getting shalacked (yes I just made up a word)?

Day traders make money if the market goes up and if the market goes down.  The only thing we are looking for is volatility.  As long as there is movement things are good.



I have definitely learned a lot while I've been in town and met a lot of awesome guys in the office but it is definitely time to get back home to my bride.  Hopefully that gives everyone a better idea of what I will be doing.  

No comments: